Customer Service Policy
The Cumberland County Library System’s primary focus is meeting the cultural, educational, and informational needs of library customers and community residents.
To that end, the Library System affirms that:
- It is a limited public forum for information and ideas, enabling the public to read, study, and use materials, programs and services;
- Free access to library materials and services is essential for community residents’ education, employment, enjoyment, and self-government;
- Parents and guardians have the responsibility and right to guide their own children’s use of the library and its resources;
- Library users and community residents shall be treated courteously and fairly through the development and consistent application of library services, policies and procedures; and
- Library services must be designed to maximize the system’s available financial resources in order to meet the broadest base of community needs.
The Cumberland County Library System strives to provide excellent service, which includes collections and programs. All library staff shall strive to provide accurate, efficient and friendly service to customers, interpreting Library System policies using the following principles:
- The Library System offers the same quality of service to all customers, regardless of age, race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, educational background, physical limitations, religious affiliation or any other criteria which may be the source of discrimination. Library staff will treat every patron with equal respect and every request with equal importance. Customers are the reason the library exists.
- Judgment calls should be made in the customer’s favor. Staff members will not be penalized for decisions made in good faith pursuit of this policy.
- Whenever possible, customers shall be offered service alternatives, such as interlibrary loan, referral to another department, renewals, etc.; and
- Library System policies and procedures exist to make library resources available on an equitable basis. Staff members shall be familiar with library policies and be able to explain them to customers.
This policy is subject to change at any time without notice. Updates to the policy may be obtained from the Library System.
Page reviewed April 30, 2009