The Cumberland County Library System’s 2008-2012 plan is based on community research and study. More than 800 County residents, staff, volunteers and library trustees provided information that became the System’s foundation for its strategic plan.
The library system used 5 methods to conduct its research:
1. County Wide Telephone Survey
In 2007, the library system used grant funds to conduct a telephone survey of county citizens. To participate in the survey, individuals had to be at least 18 years old and live in Cumberland County. 600 randomly selected interviews were completed, 200 each in the eastern, central and western areas of the county. The survey results are valid within +/- 5%. Key findings included:
2. Community Leader Interviews
- 58% of the people in the survey have a library card.
- People are highly satisfied with library services — especially locations, staff courtesy and professionalism.
- People are least satisfied with adult programming, teen services and non-print materials.
- Strongest support was for services that support student achievement, school collaboration and older adult services.
- In the future, people want more fiction and bestsellers, more nonfiction materials, the ability to conduct more business online and more non-print formats.
- Executive Summary of the Telephone Survey (PDF, 122KB, 8 pages)
In 2007, 23 community leaders were interviewed. Most reported good or very good experiences at their Cumberland County library. They commented that staff members were always friendly, helpful, and professional and they were able to obtain the materials or information they sought.
3. Citizen Focus Groups
In 2007, the library system organized 3 citizen focus groups: young professionals; retired older adults; and parents of young children. Participants said that libraries are valued and respected for their roles in their communities, especially in supporting education and serving as community gathering places.
4. Library Board and Staff Surveys
Library board members and staff members were asked for their opinions about library services.
5. Cumberland County School District Statistics
In 2007, the library system obtained statistics on the number of homeschool students and the number of English language learners in each school district. In 2006-07 there were 801 home school students. There were more than 367 English language learner students, who spoke more than 51 languages.
Page updated May 15, 2009